Hello everyone……. I am back with another really cute DIY project…….
Today in this post you will get to know how to make a mini backpack keychain or coin purse – perfect for a small number of coins.
If you follow me on Instagram you might have seen one of these mini backpack keychain coin purses a few days ago.
Well, I have good news – I have a tutorial for you today! These mini coin purses are so easy and fast to do – and they’re just so cute!!!!
Ok, so they’re not super practical. But you never know when you’re going to need to carry some coins around or something equally small.
So are you ready for a super-fast tutorial?
Here’s your list of materials:
- Old pair of denim
- Pair of scissors
- Embroidery thread
- Fabric glue
- Thin plastic piece (optional)
Steps to make these mini backpacks:
- Cut the fabric according to the measurements shown in the picture below……
- Secure all the sides of all the fabric pieces with a thin layer of fabric glue…… so that the loose threads won’t come off……..
- When the glue is dried completely, then take the pieces of denim which are for the bottom and the body of the bag…….
- Place them right sides together (i.e. front side of the fabric facing each other) You have to sew the edges of the two pieces together as shown in the pic 5. and don’t forget to leave half a centimeter part of the larger fabric unstitched…… as it has to be stitched later……
- Sew the large piece all the way around the bottom piece…..
- Now you have to sew the back part together……. (for this you have to leave the fabric unstitched in the starting)
- When you have stitched it all the way up then secure it with fabric glue so that it doesn’t hang around……
- If you want to make the base of the bag stiff then just stick a piece of thin plastic (i have used an old file folder) at the bottom part…… let it dry completely……
- Then flip the bag inside out…… This is the main body of your backpack…….
- Now to insert the string, you need to pinch the sides inwards and insert the embroidery thread with the needle as shown in pictures…….
- Tie knots at both ends of the string…….
- Front (picture 17) and Back (picture 18)
- After that, you have to stick the flap at the back with fabric glue…..
- Now you may resize or cut the excess fabric and round off the edges……
- (Optional) to jazz it up a little bit, you may take a thin long piece of denim and pull out the long threads half the way up from one side……..
- Stick it to the inside part of the flap to give it a fringe effect……
- After it dries, stick the velcro for closure…….
- Now stick the fabric piece for the handle sort of thing….. as shown in picture 26
- Add the bag straps with fabric glue, let it dry completely…… (for the straps I have used the pre-stitched part of the denim just below the belt area at the back…..)
- You may add a little heart on the flap as well……
I can’t get over how cute these are.
You can also choose to add some stitching to the flap of the purse – but it’s optional.
They would be perfect for a little flash drive or a memory card for your camera too!
Ooh – or you could save up your money and have a cute spot for your emergency candy bar fund. (It’s just a thought.)
These are just the right size for a wedding ring or small jewelry. Perfect for when you are on vacation, or at the public pool and I don’t want to wear the jewelry in the water/get it covered with sunscreen. Or these could be used for carrying jewelry for an overnight stay. 😉
These can also be used as small Christmas gifts for the young girls in your family, too. They’d love them…….
They can also serve as a place to keep a small piece of note that wrote your shopping list and reminder etc. Or, simply use it as a keychain or hanging ornament. Or, turn it into something enormously cute, just use your imagination……..
So, how will you use these adorable mini backpacks…… let me know……..
Hope you like it……..!!!
Find me on Social Media